Thursday, July 7, 2011

Beach (and a Little "Me" Time)!

DK and Morgan packed up and headed to the beach with my in-laws earlier this week. I wasn’t invited. (I’m kidding. Work started back for me yesterday, and my going would’ve caused DK and Morgan to come back a day or two early. Which would’ve meant just a one- or two-night stay, and that would’ve been a tease.)

I missed them SO MUCH! I wasn’t too thrilled about my baby leaving. I even told DK he could go and I’d be glad to keep Morgan home with me. But he wasn’t having it. He wanted to take his baby. So she went -- and they had a great time! Morgan has been to the beach a few times, but when they’re so young, each time is like a new experience. This time she even got to hang out with some of her cousins who were also there this week.

My sister-in-law always does a great job of texting me pics and videos, so I almost felt like I was there at times. Morgan and I also talked “face-to-face” every day. We upgraded our iPhones a couple of months ago, so we now use Facetime. (Can I just say BEST THING EVER? I know some of you have been using Skype for years, but we never have. So when we finally upgraded our phones, we were amazed with the Facetime thing.)

So what did I do while they were gone? I was really sad and depressed the whole time. Okay, not quite. Would I be a bad mom and wife if I told you I actually enjoyed it? It was some serious me time.

Here’s what I did:

  • Listened to MY music in the car. Morgan likes to listen to her favorites (over and over and over...), so it was nice to listen to some of my music.

  • Watched TV. We don’t really watch a lot of TV -- mainly because of Morgan. I don’t think TV is an absolute no-no -- she does watch her favorite shows every morning before school -- but I do limit her TV time. So when we get home in the afternoons/evenings, we don’t even turn on the TV. And when we do, it’s after she’s asleep for the night. And many times not even then because DK and I are just that used to having it off. I even told Danny we could do away with cable. (He called me crazy.) So, anyway, yeah, I actually sat down and watched TV. Do people still do that?

  • Did grad school work during the DAY. Grad school work is another thing that doesn’t happen until Morgan goes down for the night. So it was nice to finish things up at a decent hour.

  • Went to the library and really browsed.

  • Caught an awesome consignment sale. I was checking my email one morning and saw where one of my favorite kids consignment shops was having this really good sale. Everything was between 50 and 90% off -- even NEW stuff. And the store opened in 30 minutes. Any other time I’d have to get myself together plus a toddler and then pack a bag to be sure we have a change of clothes, a snack,and all the other stuff you need with little kids. But no -- this time all I had to do was get myself together. I was out the door within 30 minutes and scored two really good outfits for Morgan that, after a little personalization, will be PERFECT for football season! I got both outfits for a total of $18. Totally bragging.

  • Rented a couple of movies. 

  • Had long, uninterrupted phone conversations with my mom without Morgan playing her drums in the background or begging to talk to Memaw so she can tell her the same things over and over.

  • Visited my new classroom for the first time. The movers were done a couple of weeks ago, and we got an email from our principal saying that we were free to come pick up our keys. But up until now I had no desire to get over there. Probably because I just knew I didn’t have time. So yesterday I finally went up there and got an idea of how I want to decorate and organize my classroom. It probably would’ve been smart to be sure all of my stuff made it through the move, but that would’ve required some serious effort and opening of boxes. I’ll save that for August. 

Here are some things I wish I could have done:
  • Sleep in. I’ve always been an early bird, so I have a problem sleeping in. I woke up just as early as I would have if I had to go to work or if Morgan’s tiny hands were pushing my head telling me, “Mommy, Mommy, wake up! I want some oatmeal!”
  • Cleaned and organized around the house. I was home two days straight and did zero housework. And I didn’t feel bad about it...until this morning. I felt like at least Danny and Morgan could come home to a house with no grad school papers scattered about and bathroom and kitchen floors were that were swept and mopped. So I set my alarm clock an hour before I had to get up for work and gave my house some TLC.
  • Gotten ahead on my grad school work. Now this would’ve been really smart. But I don’t claim to be really smart.
  • Worked out. I’ve been really good with my 30-Day Shred workouts, but I was bad the last few days. I was busy (okay, okay -- busy having fun). I get an F for discipline. (I’m not even going to mention all the bad food I ate while they were gone.) What can I say? My family gives me structure. Without them I’m a big ball of unproductiveness. 
And all of that unproductiveness was fun and all, but I MISS MY FAMILY. I’m so glad they’re coming home today!

Here are some pics they texted throughout the trip (I have videos, too. I'll try to post one of those later.):
Walking out to the water with Honey and PaPa.

Can you spot the little girl running away from her grandparents?

Can you spot the little girl out there in the yellow floatie?

Eating pancakes.

Quick funny story on the pancakes.  I don't really make pancakes because I don't really like them. So we don't really eat a lot of syrup in my house.  And I don't think Morgan's ever had syrup until this trip.  Danny said she dipped EVERYTHING in her syrup.  And when it was all gone, she asked him if she could have some more "juice."  She called the syrup juice -- hahahaha!

She got her a good tan -- look at those cute little legs!  So glad I'll get to kiss that sweet chocolate face very, very soon! 

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stuff I Talk About

2011 30 day shred age update AKA animals anniversary appreciation aquarium around the house art museum Atlanta baby/toddler sleep issues baking bama football beach birthday birthday party blog awards blog buddies blogher books camping causes celebrations celebrities cheer days childhood children's museum children's theater Christmas christmas card class reunion college days concert conference cousins crafts dance date night dating days deals decluttering dentist Disney dk easter engagement facebook faith fall fun family family fun fashion father's day favorite blogs field trip field trips football friday flashback friends fun event funny pic Gaylord Opryland genealogy girl scouts goals god grad school grateful graves' disease Halloween health holidays Hollywood honeymoon instagram Iron Bowl key west kindermusik learning letter to my daughter library Los Angeles m me miami mlk day morgan is three museum Nashville national championship game natural hair nature new look new orleans New Years nyc out on the town parks parties phone fun pinterest play days at home playdate playground action pregnancy professional development Race for the Cure raleigh ramblings reading Recipes relay for life school program shows singing skating snow soccer social networking sorority spring break spring fun stress summer summer fun summer reading summer to do list teacher life technical difficulties terrible twos Thanksgiving the girls the park theme park thomas and friends three thyroid tragedy trains traveling tricycle trips twitter valentine's day video walk for autism water play we love being outside wedding wordless wednesday work wrapup Yo Gabba Gabba zoo
All information and pictures on this site are property of THE K. KREW. Powered by Blogger.